This requires removal of center post, which is a structural element. So there are the following requirements:
- This must be done by a licensed general contractor, who we can refer
- A building permit
- A beam that is strong enough to support the entire span. This must be spec’d by an engineer.
Prices vary for this type of work based on many factors, including:
- Siding material (brick vs. vinyl), etc.
- Foundation situation (center portion of foundation must be removed)
- Electrical work
- House setup (eg. is opening on a gable end?)
On 10/5/2021, you can expect to pay the following costs for this job:
- $3500 to $6000 for the work describe above for prepping the opening
- The price for a new door, which might be 16′ wide or wider. You can see fully installed pricing for 16′ wide doors here: http://www.doorsdoneright.net/prices/
- Larger doors will cost more
- Odd size charges may apply if door is not a standard width
- The price for a new garage door opener. Prices for new openers can be found here: http://www.doorsdoneright.net/new-garage-door-openers/